Dipping your toes into the online dating pool can seem scary at first. There are literally millions of single men and women looking for love online, but finding the right match based on a photograph and a few paragraphs can be tough. According to Judith Sills, Psychologist and author of Getting Naked Again: Dating, Romance, Sex, and Love When You’ve Been Divorced, Widowed, Dumped, or Distracted, most of us have this fantasy that the first person we meet will be the right one. But online dating requires you to look through so many profiles, read and send so many messages that finding Mr. right invariably requires time, patience and perseverance. But there is no doubt that the Internet provides the best platform for meeting as any many men as possible. The best approach, according to Sills, is to treat on line dating like a crash course in meeting new people and actively putting yourself out there on the dating scene. Here are some online dating tips that will streamline the process:
- Choosing a dating site The online dating service you choose can play a big role in the caliber of men you are going to meet. As a rule of the thumb, sites that either collect a lot of information during the sign up process or charge a small fee for membership are more likely to attract serious men looking for committed relationships. Guys looking for a casual encounter aren’t going to spent ages filling out long questionnaire style sign up forms. What’s more, the fact that the collected information is displayed on the profile means that you can easily filter out good matches.
- Create a decent profile First impressions do count even in on line dating! When writing your profile, really focus on the things you like doing which are unique and interesting. Your profile should be upbeat and positive; don’t focus on things you don’t want, but rather on those you do want. Overall, your profile description should be just long enough to how interesting you are but short enough to peak their curiosity. Using a catchy screen name will also get you lots of attention, the same way a catchy headlines sell papers.
- Use a recent photograph Your profile photo has to be great, but it should also be a fairly accurate reflection of how you actually look. Ideally, you should use the prettiest picture you have taken in the last 12 months. Retouched or ten-year old photos are a no go. Post a few photos including a full length photo, a head shot and two or three photos showing you doing the thing you like.
- Always be ready to change things Your dating profile should be treated like a work in process. If you do not care for the caliber of men you are attracting, then something definitely has to change. You don’t necessarily have to get everything right the first time. You can ask a trusted friend to go through your profile and give you their opinion.
- Create a list Men looking for a casual fling are likely to be contact you if you seem casual about the whole dating process. Showing that you are taking online dating seriously is a great way to dissuade players. The best way to go about this is to create a short list of the traits you expect in potential mates. Write down at least five things that matter to you. If you would like to meet a guy who likes exploring the wild , then making this clear from the on set will stand you in good stead. Maybe ambition is the the most important to you, or you will only date guys from a certain region, locality etc. However, ensure that the list the list only contains, your bare minimum expectation to avoid scaring away potentially good mates.
- Ask revealing questions Most people make the mistake of asking mundane, boring questions. If you are really looking to separate the wheat from the chaff, asking the guy how good his weekend was simply isn’t going to help. Ask whether he prefers dogs or cats, is he prepared to choose work over home life? Ask him what his favorite book and why he likes it. People invariably like answering questions about themselves and the answers you will get from the guy you are in contact with can tell you a lot about him and whether he is a suitable match.
- Don’t invest too much in one date The vetting process is only one aspect of online dating. The two of you would eventually have to arrange a face to face meeting. But dates can take a lot of time and effort. Most horror stories in online dating almost always involve a first date gone wrong. While the vetting process ( basically everything in this article) is a good way of increasing your chances of a successful date, it is not 100 percent effective. A great way to avoid shattered expectations is to have many short dates. Start by going for lunch or coffee if there is a spark, you can proceed to a second date. This way, you will be able to meet more guys while avoiding long and painful evenings.
There’s Someone For Everyone
Millions of people are finding love online and there is no reason why you shouldn’t try your luck.
Developing these online dating skills is essential but make sure that you
showcase them in places
where your Mr. Right is likely to be lurking.
Are you ready to begin your search?